3.12.2010

Over Thinking Photography

I've been analyzing photography for a long while coming now. I've come to realize a few things...their photography company is typically their name. This makes me wonder if it is because they are lacking originality or if in fact they want it linked to their name because it comes off more personal, in a way. I still find it lacking umph, meat, originality, or uniqueness if you will.

Also, most photographers have really awesome back drops for photos. The textures in the background make the picture. Either that, or the photo editing that took place to emphasize various things in the photo. If the person has awesome eyes then typically the photo is edited so as to emphasize the color/shape/size/etc.

I've also noticed that photographers have a tendency to find a setting/layering in editing they like and they stick to it.

I came up with some questions when researching....
  • Do you get to know the couple/person first so it's easier to determine the shoot location, time of day, editing, etc? I feel like that would be important, so they are uniquely taken for that couple/person.
  • Do you bring props or do they?
  • Do you choose poses or do they or do they just act natural as you shoot from various angles?
I think I just need to start doing and stop thinking. Sometimes that is the best fix.

1 comment:

ShariBarnesPhotography said...

I use my name. Partly because I lack some creativity in that department, and partly because it's me! If you find a creative name that expresses your personality, or relates to you and your passion, do it!

I love outdoor shots. So obviously I am limited to what is in nature. But I look for urban landscapes (brick walls, metal garage doors, etc) or greenery for good backdrops. Using a backdrop cloth or paper is great too.

I don't care for over edited images, it takes away from the natural beauty of the image. For close ups, always focus on the eyes. In editing, play up the eyes. That doesn't mean to make them look like alien eyes! Yes, most photographers find a style of editing that suits them, and that becomes their signature look.

Yes! It is always better to try to get to know your clients, and them you. It makes you both more comfortable when the day of the shoot comes along, and you can create something that is uniquely them!

If you have props, bring them. Encourage them to bring something that represents them also. Once you get to know them, you may find you have something you own that would be perfect for them!

I like to do a combination of posed and just natural shots. Some people aren't as comfortable and you may have to give a little direction. But natural poses usually work best.

Yes! Stop thinking about it and JUST DO IT!