5.12.2009

Accountability Promotes Growth

I've realized things in life aren't typically handed to you, things have to be worked for. "Things" is a pretty general term, but the desired 'thing' for everyone is different which is why I left it as a generality. Anyway, that is beside the point. The point is, I have realized I can sit on my butt and wait for people in my life to line up perfectly or I can start initiating and lining those people up myself.

Yesterday I was really working on this thought a great deal. Basically I mapped out who I mentor currently and who I want to mentor in the future. Then I listed those who mentor me currently, and those who I would like to mentor me in the future. For those who mentor me, I tried to categorize them. Categories entailed: spiritual growth, intellectual growth, self growth, work oriented growth, and emotional growth. I tried to categorize those individuals that pour into me into one of those categories, and I would love to have all filled with 2-3 individuals for each. Also, for those that I 'mentor', which typically just looks like hanging out and being their friend but having deeper than 'typical' conversations (whatever typical is anyway), I try to categorize myself for them. For example, for a girl that I hang out with often, am I provoking growth in her spiritually, intellectually, emotionally? More than one of the categories? That's what I mean, I hope that makes sense.

I have noticed a greater level of accountability for personal growth, and also to help others grow. Accountability is one of the best tools for growth. Lets face the fact that growth is hard to do on your own, I dare to say, impossible. People and culture are an incomprehensible influence and shape us into who we are. People and culture don't just have to be tangible objects or things. God is such an influence in who we are. Music that we hear is an influence, etc.

So I created a little "web of influence". I plan on making it look a tad more official, and I need to show it to someone or perhaps a few someones, so that I have...what's the magic word, 'accountability'. I think that when we express and idea or dream to someone we are much more likely to follow through and accomplish it. One, they will bring it up and ask us how it's going. Also though, people are prideful and shameful. Most people don't like to have to deal with the 'oh I knew you weren't really going to follow through with that' statement, that is so often said and stings our self-conscious/ego real bad when it is processed through. No follow through is not a good reputation to have. That is why we have to be careful with what ideas come out of our mouth. At the same time though, we can't have so much pride that we are afraid of failure. Failure shapes us, grows us, motivates us to do better next time.

Okay, I'm fresh out of thoughts, actually that's a false statement. I don't think I am ever without a thought. Keep growing, keep changing, keep shaping, keep loving.

End of story.

No comments: