5.26.2009

"Marriage is Designed to Make Us Holy More Than Happy"

So my mom is reading this book in her bible study group called 'Sacred Marriage' and she has said nothing but great things about the book. I decided I wanted to read it after hearing so many potentially life changing ideas.

The key idea is that 'God designed marriage to make us holy more than to make us happy'. I'm guilty of buying into the televised, movie, book, and other forms of media version of love and marriage. You know the romance, the fairytale, the chase. Not that those things are completely incapable of occuring, I'm not saying that at all, they most definitely can..

I'm saying that if we go into marriage with the idea of it being a form of ministry where we love, grow, challenge someone all for the glory of God knowing that humans are fallen beings and that husband, or that wife, is incapable of perfection and making you completely happy, won't we be so much better off? Won't our future marriages scream to the world a model of christ-like love, forgiveness, selflessness, servanthood (and so many other elements)...like they are designed to?

People naturally better themselves or hold themselves to a higher standard when they are trying to 'impress' someone. Well same goes for relationships and marriage...when you want to see your boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife grow and discover some of their potential, you yourself have to first incur growth so they are motivated. Also, so they don't see you as hypocritical and expecting something out of them that you yourself are not doing. (which takes knowing yourself)

Anyway just some thoughts that I was pretty excited about, that are already teaching me a whole new way of thinking. More to come on the book, I'm sure!

1 comment:

KristyFowler said...

This entry excites me! It is so refreshing to hear people talk about the realities of marriage instead of thinking that is will reflect that which is seen on television. God has So much more intended when He talks about two becoming one and I think that a lot of people (including Christians) can get caught up in their own expectations and miss the lessons and blessings that God wants to pour on His children. Thanks for the post, I really enjoyed it!